SPORTSassist South East Region Finals Report 2017

SPORTSassist South East Region Cup Finals 2017
Thought we would let you know what goes on behind the scenes and over the two days of our South East Region Finals at Dunbar
The preparation starts as soon as the finals are finished the year before. Allan Archibald arranges the dates for the following year finals during the weekend at Dunbar.
Once the season starts and the draws are made for the SERYFA cups we are on our way. Allan the match secretary arranges for each round to follow the Scottish cup ties. Our aim is to get the semi-finals played early in the New Year. The reason for this is to allow time to get information for the finals weekend match programme. We approach companies to see if they wish to place an advert. With their help we are able to help cover the cost of printing and publishing of the programme and we would like to thank everyone who placed an advert in this year’s programme.    
As soon as the finalists are known we send out letters to the finalists to get all the information for the match programmes and coaches passes.

Due to the passing of Harry Smith who previously done the match programme, the job this year fell to new President Fraser Lawson to arrange this years programme. Getting all the information from teams is not as easy as it should be as team secretaries are busy with the week to week running of their own teams. How ever we finally got all the information we required and after a number of proof readings by Dave Young, George Park, Allan Archibald and Frank Lewis we finally were able to get on with the printing of the programme.

Saturday 3rd June

The SERYFA committee arrived about 9;30am. Three big games today with the first kicking off at 12 noon.
After everyone meeting up and setting things up, the gate table, the PA system, Trophies and medals brought in to the ground and a few sponsors banners put up it was time for breakfast, the usual bacon or sliced sausage rolls and a wee cup of tea.

Just before kick off our main sponsor arrives Its great to see the SPORTSassist team. Although wee keep up and meet with each other over the year its great to catch up with Tom Wilson, Ros Athey and Dave Athey.  

With people coming and going the first teams start to arrive about 10;30am.

First game KO 12 noon - U17s Tynecastle FC vs Fauldhouse United    
A great game to start the weekend. Two well matched teams.
Final Score Tynecastle FC 0-1 Fauldhouse United FC 
With things running to time due to the excellent work being done by Douglas Dalgliesh. Also with the eagle eyes of Allan & Dave watching for footballs being kicked out the ground and going to retrieve them. George and Ian working hard on the gate and selling programmes. Shy Fraser on the microphone that seems to be welded to his hand over the weekend and his dodgey choice of music. Things seem to be going ok.

Second game KO 2;30pm – U19s Musselburgh Windsor FC vs Broxburn Athletic Colts
Another close end to end game
Final Score Musselburgh Windsor FC 0-2 Broxburn Athletic Colts

Third game 5pm KO – U21s Newtongrange Star YDA vs Murieston United
A well fought hard game of football, again not won until the final whistle.

Final score Newtongrange Star YDA 1-2 Murieston United

End of day one. Long day with three great games of football.
After packing up it was just the matter of the wee drive back up the road home. Early night for everyone on the committee.

Sunday 4th June – Early rise back down to Dunbar for 9am. A welcome addition to our team today Frank Lewis President of the U13s & U14s Leagues. Frank mucks in and helps on the gate and other duties, the teams working well again this year.

Teams arrive just behind us for first game.
Fourth game KO 10;30 am – U 13s Leith Athletic FC vs Hutchison Vale
If there was ever a game to be described as game of two halfs this was the game.
Final score Leith Athletic FC 1-3 Hutchison Vale FC

Fifth game KO 12;30pm – U14s Edinburgh City Blacks vs Hutchison Vale FC
Great game with some great skills on show another end to end final.
Final score Edinburgh City Blacks 3-2 Hutchison Vale FC
Sixth game KO 2;30pm – Spartans FC vs Tynecastle FC
Close game where both teams cancelled each other out
Final score Spartans FC 1-0 Tynecasle FC

Seventh and final game of the weekend
KO 4;45 pm - U16s Tynecastle FC vs Portobello CFA
Great game between two evenly matched teams to finish the weekend off  
Final score Tynecastle FC 0-2 Portobello CFA

Once the celebrations were finished, the music turned off and the crowds had left the ground. The committee still had the packing up to do, load their cars say their goodbyes and head home. Each game had a MOM sponsored by Edinburgh City and again our thanks go to Alan Fletcher for all his MOM choices. I'm sure if the committee had to choses a MOM for the weekend it might have went to Allan Archibald for keeping us fed and watered both days. We need to be careful that any resturant looking for a top waiter doesnt Tap him lol.  
From Saturday morning to Sunday evening the SPORTSassist South East Region Cup Finals run as smoothly as they always do. This just doesn’t happen things run like this due to the preparation and hard work of everyone involved.
Thanks go to all the teams, players and their coaches for their efforts on the day. We would like to thank all our match officials for their efforts over the weekend especially Norman Brown and Gordon Bain who were there all day as 4th officials. The spectators who continue to come to Dunbar in their large numbers also deserve a mention.
A big thank you goes to Tom Wilson from SPORTSassist for their continued sponsorship.

Finally without Allan Archibald, George Park, David Young, Frank Lewis, Ian Richardson, Douglas Dalgliesh and Fraser Lawson the SERegion Finals would not be so well organised.

All photographs from this years finals can be viewed and purchased from our friends at Youth Football Scotland.